Dental Implants are artificial roots placed directly in the jawbone and are used to replace missing teeth. The dental implant is made of Titanium and is a sound, long term solution for a missing tooth. After a period of healing, your general dentist will fabricate a crown which will be seated on the dental implant.
When replacing a single tooth, a dental implant is often the preferred treatment option because it allows for routine cleaning and excellent chewing function. A dental implant offers the following advantages over the traditional tooth replacement option of a bridge:
- No drilling or cutting of the neighboring teeth is required.
- No future cavity problem at the dental implant site.
- A dental implant provides better bone preservation in the area.
Dental implants are also used to secure partial or full dentures. Patients who currently wear a traditional removable partial or complete denture can experience a true life change with the placement of dental implants. For these individuals, dental implants are placed under the denture, thus allowing the denture to snap securely into place. Dental implants that are utilized in conjunction with removable appliances provide the following benefits:
- Secure fit of a removable appliance.
- The presence of dental implants can help maintain bone levels, thus helping to support the denture as well as facial structure.
- Regain the ability to eat virtually all foods. Implant retained dentures are more secure and greatly improve biting and chewing function.
- Complete chewing of foods is necessary for proper digestion and extraction of nutrients. A secure fitting appliance will help a patient maintain better nutrition and will help lead to fewer digestive problems.
- Some studies suggest that a patient’s psychological profile is healthier when they can chew and smile more confidently with a secure set of teeth.